Island Anarchy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Εξορμηση στους δρομους της Λευκωσιας
Squatter’s Rights Demonstration in the Hague I_icon_minitimeby Askaso Tue 17 Dec 2013, 10:35 pm

» ΔΙΑΔΗΛΩΣΗ κατά της αστυνομικής βίας και της ρατσιστικής στοχοποίησης 8/12
Squatter’s Rights Demonstration in the Hague I_icon_minitimeby informa Mon 09 Dec 2013, 6:15 am

» Με λένε εξέγερση.
Squatter’s Rights Demonstration in the Hague I_icon_minitimeby Askaso Mon 18 Nov 2013, 2:04 am

» 9/11/13-ΛΕΥΚΩΣΙΑ-ΚΥΠΡΟΣ:Πανο αλληλεγγυης στους κατοικους χαλκιδικης
Squatter’s Rights Demonstration in the Hague I_icon_minitimeby Askaso Sun 10 Nov 2013, 5:53 pm

» Δράση Ανώνυμους στο κέντρο της Λευκωσίας
Squatter’s Rights Demonstration in the Hague I_icon_minitimeby informa Thu 07 Nov 2013, 3:29 am

» Anti-Depression Operation | 2 year anniversary Occupy Buffer Zone
Squatter’s Rights Demonstration in the Hague I_icon_minitimeby informa Thu 24 Oct 2013, 1:01 am

» The Biggest Scam In The History Of Mankind - Hidden Secrets of Money
Squatter’s Rights Demonstration in the Hague I_icon_minitimeby informa Fri 18 Oct 2013, 10:10 am

» ΚΥΠΡΟΣ: Αντιφασιστικές διαδηλώσεις για την δολοφονία του Παύλου Φύσσα [BINTEO]
Squatter’s Rights Demonstration in the Hague I_icon_minitimeby TribalNetworking Thu 03 Oct 2013, 7:18 am

» ΛΕΜΕΣΟΣ: ΠΟΡΕΙΑ ΓΙΑ ΤΗΝ ΔΟΛΟΦΟΝΙΑ ΤΟΥ ΑΝΤΙΦΑΣΙΣΤΑ "ΠΑΥΛΟΥ ΦΥΣΣΑ" ΑΠΟ ΧΡΥΣΑΥΓΙΤΕΣ
Squatter’s Rights Demonstration in the Hague I_icon_minitimeby informa Sun 22 Sep 2013, 10:06 am

» ΠΟΡΕΙΑ ΓΙΑ ΤΗΝ ΔΟΛΟΦΟΝΙΑ ΤΟΥ ΑΝΤΙΦΑΣΙΣΤΑ "ΠΑΥΛΟΥ ΦΥΣΣΑ" ΑΠΟ ΧΡΥΣΑΥΓΙΤΕΣ | 19/9
Squatter’s Rights Demonstration in the Hague I_icon_minitimeby informa Sat 21 Sep 2013, 3:59 pm

» Ρουμανία: Οι διαδηλωτές νίκησαν το μεγαλύτερο ορυχείο της Ευρώπης
Squatter’s Rights Demonstration in the Hague I_icon_minitimeby sabate Wed 11 Sep 2013, 11:43 pm

» Ταινία : ΝΑ ΜΗΝ ΖΗΣΟΥΜΕ ΣΑΝ ΔΟΥΛΟΙ (Aύγουστος 2013)
Squatter’s Rights Demonstration in the Hague I_icon_minitimeby informa Wed 04 Sep 2013, 6:47 am

» Eλευθεριακό / αντιεξουσιαστικό κάμπιγκ | Antiauthoritarian / Libertarian Camp | **PHOTOS **
Squatter’s Rights Demonstration in the Hague I_icon_minitimeby informa Wed 04 Sep 2013, 6:11 am

» μπροσούρα (και βίντεο): “O ζωικός κόσμος και η μηχανή καταπίεσης του πολιτισμού απο μια αναρχική οπτική”
Squatter’s Rights Demonstration in the Hague I_icon_minitimeby adamasto Mon 02 Sep 2013, 8:13 pm

» Eλευθεριακό / αντιεξουσιαστικό κάμπιγκ στα Πλατάνια | Antiauthoritarian / Libertarian Camp at the campsite of Platania
Squatter’s Rights Demonstration in the Hague I_icon_minitimeby oorestisime Mon 19 Aug 2013, 5:55 pm

» Egypt | LIVE streams
Squatter’s Rights Demonstration in the Hague I_icon_minitimeby informa Fri 16 Aug 2013, 8:37 pm

» Antimilitarist Peace Operation: LIVE on Radio Manolis
Squatter’s Rights Demonstration in the Hague I_icon_minitimeby informa Wed 14 Aug 2013, 10:23 pm

» Antiauthoritarian / Libertarian Camp | Platania, Cyprus 2013
Squatter’s Rights Demonstration in the Hague I_icon_minitimeby informa Mon 12 Aug 2013, 6:21 pm

» EPISTOLI APO TON Σ.Κ.Α.Λ
Squatter’s Rights Demonstration in the Hague I_icon_minitimeby informa Sat 10 Aug 2013, 5:14 pm

» Anarchist education
Squatter’s Rights Demonstration in the Hague I_icon_minitimeby chaplin Thu 08 Aug 2013, 7:40 pm

» Πάτρα: Εκκένωση 3 καταλήψεων στις 6:30 περίπου το πρωί
Squatter’s Rights Demonstration in the Hague I_icon_minitimeby Paloukadoros Mon 05 Aug 2013, 5:58 pm

» Save the Limni Area. Save the Turtles! (Video)
Squatter’s Rights Demonstration in the Hague I_icon_minitimeby informa Sun 28 Jul 2013, 12:27 am

» ANTIFA LEAGUE CYPRUS #1
Squatter’s Rights Demonstration in the Hague I_icon_minitimeby ccc Sun 21 Jul 2013, 6:03 pm

» AntiMilitarist Barış Harekâtı/Αντιμιλιταριστική Ειρηνική Επιχείρηση/AntiMilitarist Peace Operation 2013
Squatter’s Rights Demonstration in the Hague I_icon_minitimeby ccc Sun 21 Jul 2013, 6:02 pm

» Παρεμβαση αντιφασιστων/αντιφασιστριων
Squatter’s Rights Demonstration in the Hague I_icon_minitimeby Askaso Sun 21 Jul 2013, 2:08 am

» Κουτι οικονομικης ενισχυσης για το Κωστα Σακκα
Squatter’s Rights Demonstration in the Hague I_icon_minitimeby Askaso Thu 18 Jul 2013, 6:23 am

» Αποφυλάκιση του Κ. Σακκά
Squatter’s Rights Demonstration in the Hague I_icon_minitimeby chaplin Thu 11 Jul 2013, 6:22 pm

» Εξόρυξη χρυσού και άλλων μετάλλων στην Κύπρο
Squatter’s Rights Demonstration in the Hague I_icon_minitimeby chaplin Wed 10 Jul 2013, 5:05 pm

» Φωτογραφίες από την Χιπχόπ συναυλία Αλληλεγγύης σε Μετανάστες και Πρόσφυγες | Σκαπούλα
Squatter’s Rights Demonstration in the Hague I_icon_minitimeby informa Wed 03 Jul 2013, 7:20 am

» Αλληλεγγύη στον αναρχικό πολιτικό κρατούμενο Κ. Σακκά
Squatter’s Rights Demonstration in the Hague I_icon_minitimeby chaplin Fri 28 Jun 2013, 3:20 pm

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Squatter’s Rights Demonstration in the Hague Bge2hu
Squatter’s Rights Demonstration in the Hague 2w597uu
Squatter’s Rights Demonstration in the Hague Ebebzc
Squatter’s Rights Demonstration in the Hague Bj5wnl
Squatter’s Rights Demonstration in the Hague 2ikp9o4
Squatter’s Rights Demonstration in the Hague 2yu0l5v
Squatter’s Rights Demonstration in the Hague 2uxuz9u
Squatter’s Rights Demonstration in the Hague Tor_pr10

Squatter’s Rights Demonstration in the Hague

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
informa

informa

Number of posts : 3120
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Squatter’s Rights Demonstration in the Hague Empty
PostSubject: Squatter’s Rights Demonstration in the Hague   Squatter’s Rights Demonstration in the Hague I_icon_minitimeMon 19 Oct 2009, 6:13 am

Στην ολλανδια προσπαθει να περάσει νόμος, που να χαρακτηρίζει τις καταλήψεις παρανομες (ενω τοσα χρόνια η καταληψη κτιρίου που εχει να χρησιμοποιηθει πανω απο ένα χρόνο είναι νόμιμη). Στις 15/10 εγινε μια συγκέντρωση στην Χαγη οπου είναι κοινοβούλια κλπ την ώρα που εξεταζόταν αν θα περάσει αυτός ο νόμος. Εγιναν παραπάνω απο 90 συλλήψεις χωρις κανέναν απολύτως λόγο. Τα γεγονότα έχουν κάπως έτσι: (Αν κάποιος έχει χρόνο για μια μετάφραση καλό θα ήταν να το πράξει)

Squatter’s Rights Demonstration in the Hague Protest-0077

On October 15th, 2009 a fundamental human balance was disturbed between a person’s right to have a roof over their head and real estate profits in Holland. This article is written from the perspective of a neutral eye witness and aims to give details about the demonstration that was carelessly disregarded by the media.

Background:

A series of peaceful demonstrations were held in the Hague beside the Parliament buildings for the purpose of protesting a law that was being passed there that evening. The law was to make squatting illegal in Holland and punishable by one year in prison. Squatting is now legal in Holland. A person can squat a property if it has been empty for more than one year. If the owner has an immediate need to get the property emptied they can negotiate with the squatter or start a simple legal case. However, if the owner simply wants the property to sit there unoccupied again, the courts will value a person’s need to have a home over the need for potential profits that might come out of capitalizing on realestate.

“The anti-squatting bill is an initiative by MPs from two coalition parties, the Christian Democrats and Christian Union, and the conservative opposition party, the VVD. The second-largest member of the ruling coalition, the Labour Party, is against the new legislation. Consequently the bill relied for support on the rightwing opposition Freedom Party, headed by anti-Islam MP Geert Wilders. The Freedom Party only agreed to back the bill when the proposed minimum sentences for squatting had been raised.

At present squatters of buildings that have been empty for more than a year are not prosecuted. To be charged with breaking into a building, squatters have to be caught in the act. However, the days of legal squatting in the Netherlands now appear to be over. Under the new legislation, convicted squatters face a one-year jail term.

Opponents claim that squatting helps maintain social housing, combats speculation, stimulates cultural initiatives and protects historic buildings. Their last hope is that the bill will be blocked by the Upper House.”

Demonstrators set up tents in the main square in front of the parliament buildings in the Hague.

The decision to ban squatting is a major move towards neo conservative values in a progressive European country like the Netherlands. As a Canadian citizen observing the events that night it made me think of my previous vision of Holland as a very liberal society of rich human rights and tolerance.

Squatter’s Rights Demonstration in the Hague Protest-0149

The Daytime:

The bill was to be voted on at 6pm that day. The demonstration began at 1pm with people setting up tents and playing music at the main square near the parliament buildings.

The attitude was positive and people kept arriving. I went to talk to squatters and supporters about what they thought about the protest and what they do with their lives. The stereotype of squatters that paints them as lazy punks who sit around all day and disobey the law was crushed by the fact that the great majority of these people hold normal jobs or are going to school. More on this topic will be covered in my book about squatters later on this year.

People played music, talked and set up stations for food, coffee and free giveaway stands. Despite the positive activities, tension was in the air. People were about to find out if they were going to loose their homes.

Journalists were at large interviewing people and taking photos. People on the streets went into the grounds to take a look at the proceedings.

People waited for the decision patiently. Some went to the parlament buildings to sit in on the voting proceedings. The time came to make the vote at around 6pm. After arriving at the entrance to the chaimber I met another reporter who was stuck outside. There was a crowd gatheredoutside the entrance. They were waiting patiently to be allowed inside. Suddenly the police started pushing everyone out. The crowd resisted as there seemed to be no reason why they should leave.Eventually the police gained control and closed the doors leaving the people outside.

The people outside left after a few minutes and the journalist and I were allowed to exit as well. The mood in the square was grim. People had just come closer to losing their right to a roof over their head.

[img]http://yuriyr.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/protest-0137.jpg/img]

The Evening Demonstrations

Van der Burg parliamentary groups (VVD) were interviewed in front of the parliament buildings. The demonstrators marched over to show their discontent with the decision to make squatting illegal.

The demonstrators kept back from the police line. They raised their banners in hope to be captured by the many reporters that were shooting the scene.

Crowds headed in the direction of the gates to the Parlament buildings. Suddenly the whole crowd started moving there. The mounted police and officers started running in that direction.

There were some demonstrators who shouted obscenities at the police on the other side of the invisible line and gestured but anyone who paid any remote attention to the proceedings could easily tell that these were a single few people. The vast majority of people simply sat and waited with banners as the media scanned the crowds.

The demonstrators sat down in front of the gates and raised their banners.

When the police radio blared out a message the crowd raised their voice in defiance. The poice messages were not being heard at all. At about 8:30pm a police officer came around with a large stack of notices. Some of them made it to me and I read quickly that the protest by the parlament buildings was ordered to be stopped at 8pm by the Major of the Hague. The notice was hastily yanked away from me before I could read anyting else. Shortly after the notice was given the crowd slowly started obeying. People left the doors of the parliament buildings and dispersed from that location with only one incident. It involved some sitting demonstrators being kicked and dragged by the police as to leave. These few people stood their ground and in the end were not removed. However, they peacefully left some time after.

Squatter’s Rights Demonstration in the Hague Protest-0200

After the police stampede the crowd cleared for the most part. The people who were left were being removed by police using force.

A large crowd gathered at the square where there were still tents erected. People were cleaning up garbage and putting it into black bags. Some were packing away their tents. Cars were pulling out of the area. The area was mostly cleared exept for a small crowd gathered talking at the monument of the Price of Orange. I was also there talking to people about their views on the current political situation and their feelings about the potential new law.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw some blue light on one side of the parliament buildings and dark figures moving into the area. When I came closer I saw that the riot police was moving into the area. This was the beginning of the final confrontation, however, it did not seem logical to me why the small group of people would be asked to leave a public square while not doing anything at all.

Nevertheless, I tried to get behind the riot police in order to snap a photo from the back. Thinking I was free to move about, I went towards the police. As I tried to pass one from the side to exit I recieved a hit on the face with a riot shield. I fell to the ground slamming my elbow and rolling onto my backpack. I gripped my camera and scurried to grab my flash which hit the ground hard. I got up and said that I would like to pass peacefully and that I am trying to document the event. The officer shouted for me to get back approaching me with a baton. At this moment I knew that the people at the square were in trouble.

My nose was numb and the inside was dry. Feeling my nose a little bit of blood came out, but there was instantly dry. Nothing was broken, but was that really necessary?

In short, when I went back to the monument people were sitting down and a few photographers were about. I talked to a photography from the Hague as the riot police advanced. He was slightly confused about this fate as well. The media was going in and out of the riot cirlce. They were not displaying any media passes, just cameras. At this point I felt that my rights as a peaceful observer and documenter have been seriously violated.

A police officer came around with a megaphone and started to relate a message. Her megaphone was malfunctioning and the feedback noise was bizarre. None of what she said could be heard. She might not have realized it as she kept on speaking as her megaphone blared out distorted noises that sounded like a broken radio.

I was determined to observe the arrests from behind and made sure I was not in the way of police as I shot my last photos. I was later arrested myself and dragged to the police van with my camera still in my hands. A part of me still could not believe that they were arresting people who were willing to leave peacefully.

The real surprise came when the first aid attendants and another reporter were hauled in next to me. The reporter was put into the same chaimber as me in the police truck. His hands were tied behind his back and his camera was hanging from his neck. It was a pro camera worth approximatly 6000 euros. He said he had a press pass and when he offered to show it the police officer told him ” I did not see it”. The journalist was worried about his girlfriend who had a stroke only four days ago and was now home alone waiting. The arrest came as a shock to him. In the end the reports say that there were around 105 people arrested. The detainees had to be transferred to different jails as there was not enough room to house them all in the Hague.

This protest did not recieve nearly enough mass media attention. My hopes that the reporter who snapped a photo of me being dragged away with a camera in my hand was going to publish the image. Instead it most likely died in his hard drive or on the editor’s desk. Perhaps the goal of the mass media was to discourage civil disobedience by denying to report on it in detail, but this time they have failed because this article is there are people determined to be heard and their struggles will not go unnoticed. This and the other freelance articles are a testament to that. Let us help prevent one sided mass media influence and help people get informed about what is going on in their countries.

You can see all of the photos from the protest here.

Keep posting your reactions and look at the following news coverage:

Indymedia NL: http://indymedia.nl/en/2009/10/62229.shtml

Photos from Indymedia: http://indymedia.nl/nl/2009/10/62308.shtml#comment.86609

Alex Wolf from vespers.nl Reports: http://www.verspers.nl/?categorie=1&soort=foto&id=232

http://www.verspers.nl/?categorie=1&soort=foto&id=230

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIlvm5ourhU

Micheal Spekkers Reports a very nice article with photos : http://www.michelspekkers.nl/2009/10/16/15102009-een-kort-dagverslag-van-de-demonstratie-in-den-haag/#more-726

Rutger Tries to Comment on Squatters: http://www.geenstijl.tv/2009/10/rutger_doet_knuffelen_met_krak.html

Dutch News.nl : http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2009/10/squatters_arrested_at_new_law.php This article is comepletely incorrect saying that 100 ’squatters’ got arrested. According to this article you can understand that this is not the case.

Indymedia Article: http://de.indymedia.org/2009/10/263486.shtml

Ravage Digitaal.org: http://www.ravagedigitaal.org/index.htm?2009nieuws/oktober/16/nws.php~mainFrame

Ravage Digital.org (another one): http://www.ravagedigitaal.org/index.htm?2009nieuws/oktober/14/nws.php~mainFrame

NUFoto: http://www.nufoto.nl/fotos/117671/honderd-krakers-aangehouden-bij-protest-den-haag.html

NuFoto: (incorrect info given on the number of arrested) http://www.nufoto.nl/fotos/117664/krakers-demonstreren-op-plein-in-den-haag.html

yuriyr.com/blog/?p=224

Squatter’s Rights Demonstration in the Hague Protest-0337

Squatter’s Rights Demonstration in the Hague Protest-0526
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Squatter’s Rights Demonstration in the Hague   Squatter’s Rights Demonstration in the Hague I_icon_minitimeMon 19 Oct 2009, 6:58 pm

mporis na gra4is sta ellinika perisotera gia ton nomo peri twn katali4ewn???....afto pou yparxei oxi afto pou 4ifizetai...??? 8a htan kalo na 3erame ean pextei kamia fash gia katali4h na mhn mporoun na mas thn pesoun..
Back to top Go down
salagos

salagos

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2009-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Squatter’s Rights Demonstration in the Hague   Squatter’s Rights Demonstration in the Hague I_icon_minitimeMon 19 Oct 2009, 7:05 pm

se kathe xora en diaforetiko

stin kupro en eshi xekatharo nomo gia tis katalipseis

itan na psifisti kati alla nomizo afisa to na perasi

stin kupro o logos pu etethike se psifisma i sugkekrimeni apagorefsi ine gia tous metanastes kurios stin larnaka oi opoi ekamnan katalipseis alla nomizo e den kano lathos en uparxi akoma nomos pou na apagorevi xekathara tis katalapsis uparxoun parathirakia pou to kanoun efikto
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Squatter’s Rights Demonstration in the Hague   Squatter’s Rights Demonstration in the Hague I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Squatter’s Rights Demonstration in the Hague
Page 1 of 1