Island Anarchy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Εξορμηση στους δρομους της Λευκωσιας
Stabbed Turkish Cypriot to sue the state  I_icon_minitimeby Askaso Tue 17 Dec 2013, 10:35 pm

» ΔΙΑΔΗΛΩΣΗ κατά της αστυνομικής βίας και της ρατσιστικής στοχοποίησης 8/12
Stabbed Turkish Cypriot to sue the state  I_icon_minitimeby informa Mon 09 Dec 2013, 6:15 am

» Με λένε εξέγερση.
Stabbed Turkish Cypriot to sue the state  I_icon_minitimeby Askaso Mon 18 Nov 2013, 2:04 am

» 9/11/13-ΛΕΥΚΩΣΙΑ-ΚΥΠΡΟΣ:Πανο αλληλεγγυης στους κατοικους χαλκιδικης
Stabbed Turkish Cypriot to sue the state  I_icon_minitimeby Askaso Sun 10 Nov 2013, 5:53 pm

» Δράση Ανώνυμους στο κέντρο της Λευκωσίας
Stabbed Turkish Cypriot to sue the state  I_icon_minitimeby informa Thu 07 Nov 2013, 3:29 am

» Anti-Depression Operation | 2 year anniversary Occupy Buffer Zone
Stabbed Turkish Cypriot to sue the state  I_icon_minitimeby informa Thu 24 Oct 2013, 1:01 am

» The Biggest Scam In The History Of Mankind - Hidden Secrets of Money
Stabbed Turkish Cypriot to sue the state  I_icon_minitimeby informa Fri 18 Oct 2013, 10:10 am

» ΚΥΠΡΟΣ: Αντιφασιστικές διαδηλώσεις για την δολοφονία του Παύλου Φύσσα [BINTEO]
Stabbed Turkish Cypriot to sue the state  I_icon_minitimeby TribalNetworking Thu 03 Oct 2013, 7:18 am

» ΛΕΜΕΣΟΣ: ΠΟΡΕΙΑ ΓΙΑ ΤΗΝ ΔΟΛΟΦΟΝΙΑ ΤΟΥ ΑΝΤΙΦΑΣΙΣΤΑ "ΠΑΥΛΟΥ ΦΥΣΣΑ" ΑΠΟ ΧΡΥΣΑΥΓΙΤΕΣ
Stabbed Turkish Cypriot to sue the state  I_icon_minitimeby informa Sun 22 Sep 2013, 10:06 am

» ΠΟΡΕΙΑ ΓΙΑ ΤΗΝ ΔΟΛΟΦΟΝΙΑ ΤΟΥ ΑΝΤΙΦΑΣΙΣΤΑ "ΠΑΥΛΟΥ ΦΥΣΣΑ" ΑΠΟ ΧΡΥΣΑΥΓΙΤΕΣ | 19/9
Stabbed Turkish Cypriot to sue the state  I_icon_minitimeby informa Sat 21 Sep 2013, 3:59 pm

» Ρουμανία: Οι διαδηλωτές νίκησαν το μεγαλύτερο ορυχείο της Ευρώπης
Stabbed Turkish Cypriot to sue the state  I_icon_minitimeby sabate Wed 11 Sep 2013, 11:43 pm

» Ταινία : ΝΑ ΜΗΝ ΖΗΣΟΥΜΕ ΣΑΝ ΔΟΥΛΟΙ (Aύγουστος 2013)
Stabbed Turkish Cypriot to sue the state  I_icon_minitimeby informa Wed 04 Sep 2013, 6:47 am

» Eλευθεριακό / αντιεξουσιαστικό κάμπιγκ | Antiauthoritarian / Libertarian Camp | **PHOTOS **
Stabbed Turkish Cypriot to sue the state  I_icon_minitimeby informa Wed 04 Sep 2013, 6:11 am

» μπροσούρα (και βίντεο): “O ζωικός κόσμος και η μηχανή καταπίεσης του πολιτισμού απο μια αναρχική οπτική”
Stabbed Turkish Cypriot to sue the state  I_icon_minitimeby adamasto Mon 02 Sep 2013, 8:13 pm

» Eλευθεριακό / αντιεξουσιαστικό κάμπιγκ στα Πλατάνια | Antiauthoritarian / Libertarian Camp at the campsite of Platania
Stabbed Turkish Cypriot to sue the state  I_icon_minitimeby oorestisime Mon 19 Aug 2013, 5:55 pm

» Egypt | LIVE streams
Stabbed Turkish Cypriot to sue the state  I_icon_minitimeby informa Fri 16 Aug 2013, 8:37 pm

» Antimilitarist Peace Operation: LIVE on Radio Manolis
Stabbed Turkish Cypriot to sue the state  I_icon_minitimeby informa Wed 14 Aug 2013, 10:23 pm

» Antiauthoritarian / Libertarian Camp | Platania, Cyprus 2013
Stabbed Turkish Cypriot to sue the state  I_icon_minitimeby informa Mon 12 Aug 2013, 6:21 pm

» EPISTOLI APO TON Σ.Κ.Α.Λ
Stabbed Turkish Cypriot to sue the state  I_icon_minitimeby informa Sat 10 Aug 2013, 5:14 pm

» Anarchist education
Stabbed Turkish Cypriot to sue the state  I_icon_minitimeby chaplin Thu 08 Aug 2013, 7:40 pm

» Πάτρα: Εκκένωση 3 καταλήψεων στις 6:30 περίπου το πρωί
Stabbed Turkish Cypriot to sue the state  I_icon_minitimeby Paloukadoros Mon 05 Aug 2013, 5:58 pm

» Save the Limni Area. Save the Turtles! (Video)
Stabbed Turkish Cypriot to sue the state  I_icon_minitimeby informa Sun 28 Jul 2013, 12:27 am

» ANTIFA LEAGUE CYPRUS #1
Stabbed Turkish Cypriot to sue the state  I_icon_minitimeby ccc Sun 21 Jul 2013, 6:03 pm

» AntiMilitarist Barış Harekâtı/Αντιμιλιταριστική Ειρηνική Επιχείρηση/AntiMilitarist Peace Operation 2013
Stabbed Turkish Cypriot to sue the state  I_icon_minitimeby ccc Sun 21 Jul 2013, 6:02 pm

» Παρεμβαση αντιφασιστων/αντιφασιστριων
Stabbed Turkish Cypriot to sue the state  I_icon_minitimeby Askaso Sun 21 Jul 2013, 2:08 am

» Κουτι οικονομικης ενισχυσης για το Κωστα Σακκα
Stabbed Turkish Cypriot to sue the state  I_icon_minitimeby Askaso Thu 18 Jul 2013, 6:23 am

» Αποφυλάκιση του Κ. Σακκά
Stabbed Turkish Cypriot to sue the state  I_icon_minitimeby chaplin Thu 11 Jul 2013, 6:22 pm

» Εξόρυξη χρυσού και άλλων μετάλλων στην Κύπρο
Stabbed Turkish Cypriot to sue the state  I_icon_minitimeby chaplin Wed 10 Jul 2013, 5:05 pm

» Φωτογραφίες από την Χιπχόπ συναυλία Αλληλεγγύης σε Μετανάστες και Πρόσφυγες | Σκαπούλα
Stabbed Turkish Cypriot to sue the state  I_icon_minitimeby informa Wed 03 Jul 2013, 7:20 am

» Αλληλεγγύη στον αναρχικό πολιτικό κρατούμενο Κ. Σακκά
Stabbed Turkish Cypriot to sue the state  I_icon_minitimeby chaplin Fri 28 Jun 2013, 3:20 pm

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Stabbed Turkish Cypriot to sue the state  Bge2hu
Stabbed Turkish Cypriot to sue the state  2w597uu
Stabbed Turkish Cypriot to sue the state  Ebebzc
Stabbed Turkish Cypriot to sue the state  Bj5wnl
Stabbed Turkish Cypriot to sue the state  2ikp9o4
Stabbed Turkish Cypriot to sue the state  2yu0l5v
Stabbed Turkish Cypriot to sue the state  2uxuz9u
Stabbed Turkish Cypriot to sue the state  Tor_pr10

Stabbed Turkish Cypriot to sue the state

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ccc

Number of posts : 329
Registration date : 2008-12-19

Stabbed Turkish Cypriot to sue the state  Empty
PostSubject: Stabbed Turkish Cypriot to sue the state    Stabbed Turkish Cypriot to sue the state  I_icon_minitimeSat 10 Nov 2012, 7:27 am

http://www.cyprus-mail.com/cyprus/stabbed-turkish-cypriot-sue-state/20121109

THE VICTIM of a racist attack is suing the state for breaching his human rights following the violent clashes that took place at the Rainbow Festival in Larnaca in 2010.
Sertunc Akdogu, a 32-year-old Cypriot musician- not immediately involved in the fracas between anti-migrant protesters and their anti-fascist adversaries- was stabbed three times just 200 metres from Larnaca police station by a group of masked people carrying weapons on November 5, 2010.
His colleague who was with him, Serhan Oncal, was also seriously injured after being beaten by members of the masked group with a baseball bat.
Nobody was ever charged with the attack.

Instead, the Attorney-general decided to prosecute Doros Polycarpou, representative of the migrant support group which organised the Rainbow Festival in Larnaca that year to counter the anti-migrant march already organised for the same day in the coastal town.

Many international NGOs heavily criticised the decision to charge Polycarpou, while failing to go after a single person from the crowd representing the anti-migrants, and also refusing to accept any responsibility on the part of the police force which was evidently unable to keep the peace that night.

On June 5, 2012, a Larnaca district court acquitted the KISA representative of the charges of rioting and participating in an illegal assembly. Polycarpou said he was acquitted after the prosecution failed to prove its case, noting that the court rejected testimonies given by police officers in court.

One officer had claimed he only made visual contact with Polycarpou during the fracas, however, video footage submitted by police as evidence showed the plain-clothed officer clearly making physical contact with the NGO member.
KISA argued that Polycarpou's involvement in the violent clashes was limited to trying to keep the two sides apart. The NGO also submitted evidence to police of anti-migrant marchers allegedly involved in the violence that ensued after the anti-migrant march passed next to the multicultural festival. The Legal Service has since launched criminal proceedings against a number of those identified by KISA, said Polycarpou yesterday.
Exactly two years on, on November 5, 2012, Akdogu and Oncal made an application for legal aid, with which they plan to sue the state for violating his human rights regarding a range of errors and omissions allegedly made by the institutions of the Republic before, during and after the violent clashes.
Akdogu and Oncal were not the only ones injured that night. Two men from Pakistan and Bangladesh, who did not take part in the trouble, were also injured.
Speaking to the Cyprus Mail, Akdogu said he and his fellow musician went to Larnaca that night to play music in a multicultural event.

“We went there to make music, we didn’t even know much about the Rainbow Festival.” When the fighting started, they stayed back. “It was not our struggle,” he said.
Two hours later they made their way to the car to put their musical instruments away. Around 300 metres from the festival and 200m from the police station, they were attacked by a group of masked people, anywhere between 15 and 30 in number, said Akdogu.

They were carrying baseball bats and knives.
“They were running to the festival, and they attacked us brutally. They hit me on the head with a baseball bat and on my back. I had the guitar on my back and it broke, but it saved my life. They also stabbed me three times on my left side, puncturing my lung and a muscle,” he said.
They also pepper sprayed his face, but luckily missing his eyes, allowing him and Oncal to run away.
At the time, Akdogu was quick to clarify that the group did not know the two musicians were Turkish Cypriot, ruling out the possibility of interethnic violence.

However, two years on, Akdogu is ready to take action, feeling aggrieved that he saw no justice, and was left both physically and psychologically without support, as well as losing 5,000 euros worth of equipment. He accuses the police and government of silence, ignorance and apathy.

“For us this case is not over. It is not over until the system that creates racism, hatred, nationalism and xenophobia is punished and violence is condemned and punished through the courts, and justice will then be done,” he said.
“My goal is to do something positive, to use this experience to make a positive change, act as a bridge between the two communities, unite people, and show we are all human,” he said.
Back to top Go down

Stabbed Turkish Cypriot to sue the state
Page 1 of 1